Frequently Asked Questions

1.  What is the difference between a Sage Essa Coach and a Personal Trainer?

A Personal Trainer generally holds a certificate IV in fitness, which may have taken between 6 weeks and 6 months to complete. Sage ESSA coaches have tertiary education and they consist of both Exercise Scientists and Exercise Physiologists, with a minimum of 3 years in higher education.

2.  What is an Exercise Physiologist?

Sage ESSA Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) are university qualified allied health professionals equipped with the knowledge to design safe and effective exercise interventions for people with a variety of medical conditions or injuries. AEPs can assist in the management of a wide range of medical conditions for which there is evidence that exercise can improve the client’s health and wellbeing.

3.  What is an Exercise Scientist?

Sage ESSA Exercise Scientists (AES) are professionals with high level training in exercise and sports science. At a minimum, they hold a Bachelor’s degree that meets the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Level 7 requirements. This equips the AES with the knowledge and skills to develop interventions that improve health, fitness, wellbeing, performance, and that assist in the prevention of chronic conditions.

4.  How do I know if I need to see a Dietitian?

In order to maximise your exercise results, a Sage Dietitian can be very helpful in making sure you are eating the correct food in order to have the fuel to power your body. A dietitian can also be helpful if you think you may have an allergy or a negative response from eating certain foods (e.g. gluten or dairy).

5.  What is the difference between a Nutritionist and a Dietitian?

A Nutritionist is a tertiary qualified nutrition professional that has the expertise to provide a range of evidence based nutrition services. There is currently no industry specific assessing authority that assesses the qualifications of Nutritionists who are not Dietitians.

Dietitians are also qualified to provide this range of evidence based nutrition services, but in addition, Dietitians have the expertise to provide individual dietary counselling, medical nutrition therapy, group dietary therapy and food service management. A Dietitian has undertaken a course of study that included substantial theory and practice in clinical nutrition, medical nutrition therapy and food service management.

6.  Can I claim Medicare or private health?

Sage Exercise Physiologists are recognised by most private health insurance companies. We advise you to check with your private health fund if you are unsure or wish to know how much cover you will receive. If you have a GP Medicare Plan and have been referred to an allied health professional such as a Sage Exercise Physiologist, you can claim on Medicare. If you have private health insurance, make sure the allied health professional you wish to claim for, is listed in your plan.

7.  What does scope of practice mean?

The scope of practice describes the procedures, actions, and processes that a healthcare practitioner is permitted to undertake in keeping with the terms of their professional license. In other words, they have been specifically trained in these areas unlike some Personal Trainers that may practice outside their scope or education.

8.  What is an allied health professional?

Allied Health is a term used to describe the broad range of health professionals who are not Doctors, Dentists or Nurses. Allied health professionals aim to prevent, diagnose and treat a range of conditions and illnesses and often work within a multidisciplinary health team to provide the best client outcomes.